- - http://www.ongkkeon-sailing.blogspot.com/ 0.5 2006-10-29T08:27:17+00:00 daily Sailing, Boats in Singapore, South East Asia

Monday, October 30, 2006

 

My Favourite Dinghy
What is my favorite dingy? After my basic sailing course on the Lark, I started sailing on the Topper. I was not able to continue to sail the Lark because the Lark were phased out in the Club. Besides, the Lark need two sailors; one helmsman and one crew. The Topper (43kg) is made from polypropylene, a composite plastic material, hence the boat is more sluggish. The Topper is robust and virtually indestructible. This is an ideal boat for beach resorts. The sailor can sail right up the beach without causing damage to the boat. The Laser boats are made from fibreglass. The Lasers are more lighweight due to the material. Therefore, it can cut through the water with less resistance. Consequently, the Laser is faster than the Topper. Next I moved on the standard Laser (56kg). In light and medium winds, the Laser is a fast and manageable boat with a new sailor. However in strong winds, an inexperienced sailor will have problem sailing and controlling the boat. If you are at least 75kg, it will be easier to sail and control the boat. As i am a light weight sailor (about 60-65kg), i eventually move on to the Laser Byte (45 kg). I feel I have better control in all conditions of wind including strong wind conditions. If i bring my children along, the Laser Pico is ideal. The cockpit has enough space for one adult and one child. So, if I sail alone, it is the Laser Byte. With the Kids, the Laser Pico.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?